Here are some natural hangover cures to help you fight the pain.
The problem with having a little too much fun? The nausea, headache, and the general discomfort it brings in the form of a hangover the following day.
Our best advice is to avoid a hangover altogether by drinking in moderation and alternating a glass of water with each alcoholic beverage. But sometimes a few cocktails can get the best of you and, in that case, we have a few natural remedies to help ease the punishment from the party.
Coming up roses . . .
We are HUGE fans of rose products, as rose is an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant. Not to mention, the scent is beautiful, relaxing, and can help calm an anxious mind. Below find a few of our favorite rose products to make up one beneficial bouquet when it comes to your beauty needs!
Click on the images below to shop each product!
Give your desk a detox . . .
We're betting you spend A LOT of time at your workplace, namely sitting at your desk, so why not make it the healthiest space it can be?
Here are a few easy tips to help you detox your desk and make your workspace a pleasant place to be (8 hours a day, 5 days a week)!
-Go Green: As you know, greens can be a great source of fresh oxygen and can help keep the air around you clean. Add a cactus to the mix — not only are cacti easy to care for and a cute decor addition, but studies have provided that they can actually reduce computer radiation. Yeehaw!
-Set Your Alarm: Yep, your alarm should be used for more than just your morning wakeup routine, it's a great reminder to leave your seat and stretch out for 5 minutes every hour. Not only will it help you physically, but it's a great mental break to keep your head clear and focused.
-Keep It Clean: Needles to say, lots of bacteria can creep up on your keyboard, phone, and on the general surface area of your desk. Make it a weekly habit to wipe it down and kill off germs to keep yourself safe from getting sick!
-Help Yourself Hydrate: Keep a water bottle (that you wash at the end of each day) at your desk, so it's easy to refill throughout the day. Make yourself drink at least one full bottle before lunch, and one full one before you go home at the end of the day. This will also help curb snacking and keep your body balanced.
-Savor Healthy Snacks: Keep only healthy snacks in your space, and limit your portions to the appropriate amount when you reach into your supply.
-Organize Daily: Be sure to organize papers, toss garbage, and put everything into place at the end of each work day (this way you'll never get in over your head). An organized space translates to an organized mind, which will help you be more productive in the long run.
For more healthy inspiration download the app by clicking here!
Here's your monthly reminder!
It's a new month, and you know what that means? It's time to clean your makeup brushes and kill all of the bacteria that's been building up over the past 30+ days!
As you now know, cleaning your brushes should be done at least once a month — and daily for brushes used for liquid cosmetics, believe us it makes difference! We've shared a few natural tips for how to do so in the past, and here's another great DIY that both cleanses and sanitizes to help keep your skin beautiful.
Here's what you'll need:
-Organic olive oil
-Organic castile soap (we love the lavender version of Dr. Bronner's, shop it here: http://bit.ly/1XK8l61)
-Distilled white vinegar
-Two glass bowls
1. Mix together 1 part soap and 1 part olive oil in one bowl. Coat your brush (only the bristles!) evenly with the mixture, which will loosen the grime and germs. Use your fingers to work through the brush to ensure the cakey residue is coming off.
2. Rinse off the solution using warm water with the brush pointed down, gently squeezing out excess water.
3. Pour 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar into the second glass bowl. Dip your squeeze-dried brush (bristles only!) into the vinegar.
4. Rinse the brush under warm running water for a final cleanse and squeeze the excess water from the brush. Reshape the bristles and lay flat on a washcloth to dry.
Here's What's Playing In NYC's Hottest Fitness Studio
Strengthen Lengthen Tone (SLT for short) is undoubtedly NYC's hottest fitness boutique (an Ellevate favorite) and one of the studio's top trainers, Bethany Meyers, created an exclusive "Ellevated" playlist to help you get through your workout — (no) sweat! These beats will motivate you to get to the gym and will keep you moving throughout your entire routine. Click here to open in Spotify or stream this kick a$$ playlist below. Let's go!
Exercises You Can Do Anywhere
The holidays are supposed to bring some downtime but most of us find ourselves on the go, traveling to see relatives (or hopefully, headed to a relaxing vacation destination). It’s no secret that traveling takes a serious toll on your workout routine. After being crammed in a car or stuck in a seat for hours on an airplane, it’s tempting to flop on the bed when you arrive at your destination, but breaking a sweat is the best way to reenergize and restore mental focus. In most cases, you can find 15-20 minutes to fit in a quick and easy workout.
Mix it up with moves you can do just about anywhere. No equipment necessary.
1. Get your blood flowing with “High Knees” and “Butt Kicks” for 30 seconds each to get started.
2. Amp up your arms with “Triceps Dips” — this exercise is great as it uses only your body weight. All you need is a stabilized chair or bench (the edge of the bathtub works just as well). Aim for two sets of 20 reps.
3. Engage your core with “Side Plank Pushups.” Start with a pushup and rotate to the side by stacking your hips and feet. Raise your arm for a full breath and lower the arm to return to a pushup. Repeat on other side. Try for 2 sets of 15 reps on each side.
4. Raise your heart rate with “Mountain Climbers” – a full body, calorie-burning workout. Start in a pushup position with arms shoulder-width apart. Lift your right leg and raise your knee to your chest (or as close as you can depending on flexibility), return to the starting position and repeat with the left leg. Repeat for 30 seconds and 2 sets. Add on to your time as you build endurance.
5. Move on to your butt and legs with a “Side Lunge” by standing with your feet hips-width apart and extending one leg out to the side by bending your stable leg and reaching your butt back as if to sit on a chair. Repeat the same motion with your other leg for 15 reps and 2 sets.
6. Crank up the core muscles with a Pilates-inspired “Double-Leg Stretch.” Lying on your back, raise both legs to hug shins to your chest. Inhale to lift your head and shoulders off the mat and straighten your legs to reach a 45-degree angle, while extending your arms back beside your ears (your body should resemble the shape of a V). Exhale and lower your arms and legs to hug your shins and return to the starting position. If you feel a strain on your neck, use your arms to support you and focus on the motion of your legs. Repeat for 30 seconds.
7. Stretch it out while keeping the core tight with “Plank to Upward-Facing Dog.” Start in a plank and walk your feet back while lowering down and stretching your arms by moving your chest towards the floor. As you walk your feet back in, move your chest forward between your hands stretching into an upward-facing dog. Repeat for 30 seconds.
8. Twist out the toxins and improve circulation with “Revolved Wide-Legged Standing Forward Fold,” a calming twist that stretches the whole body and helps detoxify the digestive organs, while also soothing the mind and improving full-body coordination. Start in a standing split (with legs as far apart as comfortable) and twist your upper body from the hips, while raising one arm to the ceiling and stabilizing yourself with the other hand on the ground. Push into the heels of your hands and feet. Set your gaze on the thumb of your raised hand and push your hips to the wall behind you, while engaging your lower belly. Hold this pose for 5-10 breaths on each side.
9. If you don’t have time for a full body workout, a headstand or modified form of the inversion will give you a similar effect as it increases circulation through the body, sends nutrients to the skin, rids the body of toxins, and pumps fresh blood from head to toe, boosting your energy levels, while calming the mind. You don't have to be an advanced yogi to stand on your head: use the wall for support and balance or for an even more approachable option, hang your head over the side of the bed. Start by holding this pose for just 10 seconds and gradually add 5 to 10 seconds until you reach 3 to 5 minutes.
Ellevate, a free healthy living app available on iOS and Android, keeps you inspired with daily challenges focused on fitness, food, & toxin-free beauty. Timely healthy tidbits (the latest and greatest workout wear, the mascara that lengthens but doesn’t poison, a seasonal heart-healthy and gluten-free recipe) keep you on the right track while traveling. Download it by clicking here.
A happy & healthy holiday gift guide!
It's the most wonderful time of the year! We've got the perfect gift guide for the health and wellness-focused loved ones in your life. From a chic new glass and gold hydration companion for the gym in DropBottle's water bottle to a personalized way to keep track of time in the new year with Artifact Uprising's wood calendars, we're helping you take your gifting to the next level!
Scroll down to see our favorite gifts and click on the image to shop each pick!
Take cleansing to the next level with Herbivore Organics' activated Bamboo Charcoal soap, which does wonders to deeply cleanse and detoxify. Drawing impurities and toxins from deep within your pores with its powerful absorption properties, it gives an amazing deep clean while also naturally and gently exfoliating. Bamboo Charcoal is gentle yet effective, and works especially well to clean and care for oily, combination, and blemish-prone skin types!
We're hoping you'd break from your phone to take a warm bath! We know we do, which is why we've dipped into Pursoma's Digital Detox bath salts — a strong combination of mineral rich sea salt which helps your body sweat, paired with pure and natural montmorilonite clay which is known to pull out toxicity from the pores; makes this treatment and ideal remedy for anyone that tired, stressed and had excessive exposure to technology.
There's nothing like a good detox during the holidays! Tammy Fender's Purifying Luculent Masque is the ultimate antioxidant for your skin when things get stressful! Infused with highly active herbal remedies including Fo-Ti and Great Burdock, the masque is meant to extend cellular endurance and clarify the complexion while replenishing suppleness, with bountiful nourishment and hydration.
We love each one of Annmarie Gianni's blended essential oils for numerous reasons - so why not try them all! Each blend has a unique scent and aromatherapeutic properties, helping to shape your mood and emotions in addition to smelling amazing. You can use them as your natural perfume, in your diffuser, or added to a carrier oil and used as a moisturizer.
Don't Get Burned-Out!
If you've been keeping track of our amazing November rewards, you're already aware that you can win the perfect accessory for your home this holiday season: Ava Anderson's Non-Toxic Peppermint Candle!
There are so many reasons to fall for this flame — unlike toxic paraffin wax candles, which pollute your home and environment by releasing chemicals into the air, Ava's candles are made with a mix of organic coconut wax and beeswax for a long-lasting, and most importantly, clean burn.
Secondly, we've warned you to watch out for "fragrance" — a common code word for chemicals — in most candles. The soothing scent of this peppermint candle is pure and safe as it's crafted with natural essential oils, which can have serious benefits when wafted. The cotton wicks (always steer clear of metal!) top it off as a holiday must-have, and you have the chance to WIN!
Keep competing to be sure you can score the candle, which will be released on Sunday, November 22 at 10:30 a.m.!
Download Ellevate by clicking here.
What You Need To Know About Ghee
Can't believe it is butter! If you've never heard of Ghee before, here's what you need to know about the healthy alternative we're buttering up to!
What is it?
Ghee is a clarified, unsalted butter with the milk proteins removed, making it a great substitute for those with allergy restrictions. It has the benefits of butter minus the casein and proteins that cause reactions from real butter.
Ghee has a high smoke point, which makes it an easy and flavorful ingredient for your kitchen. It is packed with nutrients and a bit more intense in flavor, so a little bit goes a long way!
Why go ghee?
Ghee is a great source of fat soluble vitamins (like Vitamin K) and does wonders for teeth, hair, skin, and nails.
Ghee is one of the main ingredients in our new favorite superfood HANAH ONE, which is one of Ellevate's November rewards! The Ayurvedic supplement is known to increase natural energy and mental focus, and it can boost your information recall as well. It also acts as a great natural substitute for caffeine. Check it out on our rewards platform now and keep competing so you'll have enough points to win! HANAH ONE will be released on 11/15.
For more info, click here: hanahlife.com